Marvel star Simu Liu appeared on “The Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon” to share movie character impressions he claims were rejected for his upcoming appearance on this week’s “Saturday Night Live.”
A precious impression: The “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” started by attempting to do an impression of Emperor Palpatine by saying “something, something, something, dark side” in the Sith Lord’s voice, a reference to the title of a “Family Guy” parody of “Star Wars.”
- Liu then imitated Gollum from “The Lord of the Rings” — which Fallon was impressed by.
- “I like that! I like that!” the host said as the audience applauded.
- “Thank you! Thank you so much!” Liu replied with a smile.
Other projects: Liu also mentioned he is promoting a new special with “Sesame Street” to help introduce the show’s first Asian American muppet, 7-year-old Ji-Young.
- The Thanksgiving special, titled “See Us Coming Together: A Sesame Street Special,” was created along with The Asian American Foundation (TAAF).
- “This is a proud moment for AAPIs everywhere, particularly Korean Americans, as Ji-Young and the See Us Coming Together Special demonstrate that Asian Americans are part of the very fabric of American society and culture,” TAAF Board Member Sheila Lirio Marcelo said.
- “To be able to be the representation that I did not have as a kid … you can’t put words to it,” puppeteer Kathy Kim said during a behind the scenes interview. “We’ve all been involved in the process. It’s been really important for us at Sesame to have Asian American voices represented in the development of this character, and I think it shows in the final product.”
Featured Image via The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (left), Sterling Archer (right)