An anonymous buyer purchased a rare Pokémon Blastoise card for a whopping $360,000 at an auction last week.
One of a kind: CGC Trading Cards, a collectibles authenticator, sold the Pokémon Blastoise #009/165R Commissioned Presentation Galaxy Star Hologram card during a live auction on Jan. 14 via YouTube, the New York Post reports.
- The CGC-certified card was commissioned by Wizards of the Coast in 1998 as part of a test pack that would be shown at card shops.
- It was created for media use “to demonstrate what an English Pokémon card would look like.”
- The “presentation” card has a distinct blank back. Only two copies of this card have been produced, and the location of the other copy is unknown.
Historic buy: Before this recent bid, another buyer made headlines last month after paying $369,000 for a rare Charizard card from the 1999 Base Set.
- With a 1st Edition stamp and shadowless design, the Charizard card is extremely rare.
- Pokémon collector and renowned rapper Logic held the previous record after buying a Charizard card of the same edition for $220,000.
Feature Image via Heritage Auctions