“Mortal Kombat” star Hiroyuki Sanada will join Donnie Yen, Rina Sawayama and Keanu Reeves in “John Wick 4” as an old friend of the title character.
Movie details: Sanada will be playing a character known as Watanabe. The character’s role in the plot has not been released except that he and Wick share several common enemies, Collider reported.
- The movie is set for release on May 27, 2022. Production will begin this summer in France, Germany and Japan, according to Deadline.
- Chad Stahelski will be directing and producing the movie alongside Reeves and Louise Rosner as executive producers. Shay Hatten and Michael Finch will be writing the screenplay. Other producers include Basil Iwanyk and Erica Lee.
- Stahleski stated that he is “thrilled” Sanada is joining the cast and is “honored to welcome him to the ‘John Wick’ family.” He also revealed that he admires Sanada as an actor and action performer.
About Sanada: Sanada has been acting for over 50 years and has been in hits including “The Last Samurai,” “Rush Hour 3,” “The Wolverine,” “Avengers: Endgame,” “Mortal Kombat” and “Westworld.”
- He was recently cast as one of the leads in the new FX series “Shogun” and will join Brad Pitt in the cast of “Bullet Train.”
- Sanada is represented by CAA, Lighthouse Entertainment and Axon Entertainment, which is based in Tokyo.
Featured Image via IGN (left), Flashback FilmMaking (right)