An Asian American sixth grader in Syosset, NY was allegedly attacked by students who blamed him for COVID-19 and demanded that he go back to his “own country” last week.
Recess bullies: The incident reportedly occurred during recess at South Woods Middle School on May 6, reported News 12.
- In a Facebook post, the student’s mother claimed that her son was told “Go back to your country, Asian!” after being pushed and punched by another student.
- Other students allegedly shouted “Covid Starter” and “White lives matter, too.”
- The latest data from the New York State Department of Education shows that 52% of students in the Syosset Central School District are white, while 40% are Asian.
Investigation launched: School district superintendent Thomas Rogers said that interviews have been conducted with more than two dozen individuals, according to WABC.
- School officials learned that there have been other prior incidents involving students making biased statements at the middle school.
- During a school board meeting on Monday, parents reportedly spoke for around two hours to voice their worries regarding the incidents.
- Rogers said the Nassau County Office of Asian-American Affairs will work with the school district for the rest of the investigation.
The incidents remind the Syosset community of five students arrested in 2017 for spray-painting anti-Semitic messages and symbols at Syosset High School.
According to News 12, Nassau police said that the Asian student’s parents do not intend to press charges.
Featured Image Screenshot via Google Maps