The 2021 MTV Europe Music Awards have unveiled the nomination list for 2021, and many Asian talents are featured across multiple different categories.
K-pop nominees: On Oct. 20, the MTV Europe Music Awards (EMAs) announced this year’s nominees which include many K-pop acts such as BTS, Blackpink, Twice, Monsta X and NCT 127.
- BTS earned four different nominations this year including best pop and best group.
- As for the biggest fans category, BTS and Blackpink face off against one another along with fellow nominees Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande and Lady Gaga.
- Blackpink members Lisa and Rosé are nominated separately for the best K-Pop award this year in which they are competing against BTS and groups such as Twice, Monsta X and NCT 127.
- In the EMA’s best Korean Act for 2021 category, girl groups Aespa, STAYC and Weeekly are nominated along with boy group WEi and boy band Cravity.
Asian Talents: The MTA EMAs also feature other Asian American and Southeast Asian talents.
- Filipino American pop star Olivia Rodrigo is nominated in five categories including best pop, best song, best new artist, best push and best US Act.
- Filipino Chinese, African American rapper Saweetie also joins Olivia in the best new artist category.
- The EMAs also have a best Southeast Asia act category which includes the following nominees: JJ Lin (Singapore), SB19 (Philippines), Ink Waruntorn (Thailand), K-ICM (Vietnam), Lyodra (Indonesia), Naim Daniel (Malaysia).
Voting is currently open on MTV EMAs’ official website until Nov. 10 at 5:59 p.m. ET. While the event is set to take place at the Papp László Budapest Sportaréna in Hungary, it will also air live on Nov. 14 through MTV channels at 3 p.m. ET.
Featured Image via HYPE LABELS (left), @blackpinkofficial (right)